MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCV Rack: Open-source virtual modular synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Author VCV Rack: Open-source virtual modular synthesizer
Dilibob
psy_ wrote:
hello, i'm new to modular and start using vcv rack, i want to ask if there is any ready patch that simulates real full modular systems like the make noise cartesian,Black and Gold System,endorphines shuttle system ? so you can try them before spend the cash on real hardware , thank you
You can do that easily for a mutable instrument rig (just one plugin option, two if you want the cloud variants). For make noise its a lot more complex, with many different plugin providers of which a couple are paid. Also with makenoise the plugins don't often line up well to the real module, for example i have a couple of real morphogenes but stuff that can do roughly the same concept in vcvrack are hugely different from a interface perspective. You can even start to get close with a buchla setup, but again the user interface is dramatically different. Doing a soft vcvrack of mutable instrument rig is the best way to start before buying a full setup of a small portable mutable euro rig. I highly recommend getting a expert sleepers es-8, with an es-8 you can easily extend your new box whatever you get with the soft modules so you don't feel stuck with a preconfigured modular.
psy_
thanks Dilibob, i'll look into es-8 when i'll decide to buy a case for a small setup, also have audulus and from what i read on their forum they recommend this kind of setup too, i just want to go the route without the need of a pc but it gets very expensive quick, was thinking to get a 0-coast at first but i'm thinking maybe it's better with something with even more variety with all types of synthesis ( i'm spoiled with vst plugins and software smile )
Spyart
lucyfur
Is there a real-world VCO similar to the Geodesics Energy "relativistic ring modulation oscillator" that anyone knows of?
The Space Disco
I like the black wavetable... messing around here:

The Space Disco
Inloved with the Erica Synth modules!

The Space Disco
heres a better example

Monotremata
Me too. The wavetable vco and cthulhu lfo RULE. Might have to get one of each in the future. My case came from them but for some reason I dont know crap about their modules.
The Space Disco
Monotremata wrote:
Me too. The wavetable vco and cthulhu lfo RULE. Might have to get one of each in the future. My case came from them but for some reason I dont know crap about their modules.

Got to check that LFO you mentioned. I’m getting into the one from Erica synths.
Spyart
dr. doom
Vcv rack v1 is awesome! It's peanut butter jelly time!
dr. doom
Btw which sequencers do you guys like to use?
Dilibob
dr. doom wrote:
Btw which sequencers do you guys like to use?
i use iannix at iannix.org, it runs as its own process and can send messages to vcv rack via midi (midi is simplest mode, but theres also a multi server mode where u can sequence multiple apps like your light system in step to sound via http messages).
dr. doom
Dilibob wrote:
i use iannix at iannix.org, it runs as its own process and can send messages to vcv rack via midi (midi is simplest mode, but theres also a multi server mode where u can sequence multiple apps like your light system in step to sound via http messages).

Oh, wow. Looks very cool. I've searched the internet and came across all sorts of sequencers but never saw this one. Thank you.
Spyart
catchin
Love this thing. Helped make better choices before I invested in certain modules. Mutable Instruments (Audible Instruments) got my money after experimenting with them in VCV Rack. A great learning tool as well. Rockin' Banana!
coolshirtdotjpg
Hey folks, I'm working on a set of 11 VCV modules right now, they are based on several years of DSP code my friend put together simulating chaotic oscillators and other analog components (vactrols, matrix mixers, state recall systems, etc.) used in conjunction with those. I have been using my experience as someone who has spent the past 5 years completely swallowed up by eurorack, and more recently VCV, to translate these into designs that are coherent to people familiar with both.

I am curious if I could gauge people's interest in this. Is this something you would be interested in? We're thinking of charging $10 for the set. Does this seem reasonable? The idea is that we would continue to develop this project, so that the original 11 modules would continue to improve over time based on user feedback, and we would add more modules as well (at no cost to the people who originally invested). We are simultaneously working on hardware designs of these modules and any we are planning on offering discounts on those for VCV users (and free licenses to those who buy the hardware).

I can't say much more about it now, but I will say I'm having a lot of fun using these modules in my VCV setup at the moment.
Phil999
I think it's a good idea. And I would gladly pay $10 alone for a good sounding LPG in VCV.
Vortico
Charge more if you want. $20 or $30 is very reasonable for 11 analog-modeling modules, if they're high quality.
coolshirtdotjpg
Thank you both for the responses! That's heartening. We're still a ways off, but we've been making a lot of progress in the past few weeks. On thing that's cool is that, in addition to a conventional LPG, we also have a vactrol module that will allow you to use a vactrol envelop with any filter/VCA you own in VCV.
Vortico
Switched On Rack Vol. 3, the collaboration album featuring tracks made with VCV Rack, is out now.
https://switchedonrack.bandcamp.com/album/switched-on-rack-vol-3

Here's the sign-up sheet for submitting your own VCV tracks to be considered for future volumes.
consumer
<edited>
artisticspider
I totally forgot about VCV Rack! I have a pretty old version on my computer right now so I think I'm definitely due to update and see how things are coming along. Any major bugs that anyone has noticed?
kesserich
Is there a rating system around for VCV Rack similar to modulargrid? It seems like there are just a ton of modules out there now but it's hard to get a sense of what the high quality ones without spending a shitton of time just playing with everything. Like is there is a preeminent step sequencer that everyone is using?
Vortico
Ratings are planned in the VCV Library overhaul, where individual modules are listed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Page 28 of 29