MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise pots - Feel scratchy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Make Noise pots - Feel scratchy?
Conjure
Sorted
soot
This may be not necessarily related, but I have a couple Make Noise products with pots that have developed dead spots. I have sent in my DPO for this issue and it was fixed under warranty with little hassle. Not sure if the pots themselves are to blame or if maybe dust has just gotten in them over time.
Conjure
Sorted
Farfield
soot wrote:
This may be not necessarily related, but I have a couple Make Noise products with pots that have developed dead spots. I have sent in my DPO for this issue and it was fixed under warranty with little hassle. Not sure if the pots themselves are to blame or if maybe dust has just gotten in them over time.

Hmm, I wonder if this is the same as the issue I'm having with my Telharmonic. At around 11 o'clock the Centroid seems to flutter and behave weirdly, could this be a 'dead spot'?

Last weekend I noticed a similar problem with the second oscillator of my DPO. Kind of worrisome. I love my case full of Make Noise modules.
jstenroos
Same experience here, I have now three erratic pots on MakeNoise modules, one on DPO, one on modDemix and one on MMG. A tip on how to clean/lubricate them would be nice, to me they seem pretty closed?

-J
soot
Farfield wrote:
soot wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if this is the same as the issue I'm having with my Telharmonic. At around 11 o'clock the Centroid seems to flutter and behave weirdly, could this be a 'dead spot'?

Last weekend I noticed a similar problem with the second oscillator of my DPO. Kind of worrisome. I love my case full of Make Noise modules.

That does sound like its possibly the same issue. My Osc B frequency would become unstable and drop to its lowest frequency when the pot was in or sweeping through a particular spot.
captjrab
My MMG freq pot was a lttle crackly. I gave it the 100 twists back and forth and so far it's better. Not sure about the long term tho. I want it to last forever, but....
reflecto
have had the noisy pot issue with several MN modules but they have always graciously and swiftly fixed them (even tho a couple of months out of warranty in one case) .
I have 12 MN modules and worried cos I'm sure it'll happen again , then I'll be the one making the noise
PolarIceCaves
reflecto wrote:
have had the noisy pot issue with several MN modules but they have always graciously and swiftly fixed them (even tho a couple of months out of warranty in one case) .
I have 12 MN modules and worried cos I'm sure it'll happen again , then I'll be the one making the noise

This is how I feel also, as I own almost each module they've produced.
Also it makes me unsure as to the reliability of the pots I can't obviously hear like input and output pots. So many knobs, how many don't work correctly now I may never know. I have been hesitant to ask, but I've considered sending every module back to them to test and fix.
eatmykids
i'd recommend getting a a can of SUPER 10 Switch Cleaner for your tool kit

about 4:30 in the vid

super 10 may just be a UK product have a search for switch cleaner lubricant,
its also handy to have an unused paint brush to dust down your machine once in awhile
jimmyjamesrice
eatmykids wrote:

super 10 may just be a UK product have a search for switch cleaner lubricant,

Not sure about Super 10, but for US folks I recommend DeoxIT. It is miraculous. I haven't met a crackle or dead spot it couldn't fix.
Dust and oxidation are mean to potentiometers that don't get used much; occasionally turning all yer knobs is a good preventative measure.

That being said, I have no experience with Make Noise knobs, probably just inexpensive pots that don't feel luxurious seriously, i just don't get it

[edit]
For pots that aren't easy to access, there are these things, and you can save $20 by making your own with surgical tubing. Cleaning fluid will just wick down the shaft and do its thing.
BugBrand
eatmykids wrote:
i'd recommend getting a a can of SUPER 10 Switch Cleaner for your tool kit

It is called switch cleaner rather than pot cleaner for a reason..

What is needed is cleaning + lubrication.
Caig Deoxit F5 is good as a spray. For the various common metal body pots (like alpha 16mm etc) they have a little notch/hole on the body back where you should direct the spray in - go easy on it! do not spray cleaner all over the place!
(or if you want to go deep you take apart the pot, clean and then lube with Deoxit F100).

Not sure, but the Makenoise pots look like they aren't the metal body sort - perhaps not so easy to clean.

I do not think much cleaner enters the pot via the shaft - I think that suggested $20-jobby likely sprays most of the cleaner all over the body of the guitar.
jimmie
I've got them new and their feel is one of my best. The shaft can sometimes be a little wobbly if you put much force but if you treat them nice and soft, they're really smooth as butter and light yet not slippery. They allow one finger knobbing with relative precision. After using these knobs I don't like any heavy knobs like doepfer's. I hated wobbly knob before but smoothness surpasses it (of course not terribly wobbly). Haven't owned moog but I expect it's even better?
synthetic
Zero problems here. Do you smoke?
Farfield
soot wrote:

That does sound like its possibly the same issue. My Osc B frequency would become unstable and drop to its lowest frequency when the pot was in or sweeping through a particular spot.

Yes, same issue it seems! I contacted Make Noise and I'll have to send in my modules for repair sad banana

They're only about a year old and I really hope these things will last a long long time. I do love the smooth feel of the pots, as long as they work the way they should.
jimmyjamesrice
BugBrand wrote:

I do not think much cleaner enters the pot via the shaft - I think that suggested $20-jobby likely sprays most of the cleaner all over the body of the guitar.

You're right that it's easy to make a mess and probably not as efficient, but IMO it's often easier than disassembly. Your advice to go easy certainly applies! I usually spray some cleaner out into a little pool then dab it where the shaft enters the body of the pot. Capillary action does the rest.
No experience with said jobby, but I've seen homebrewed versions used well in guitar shops. I shouldn't have recommended it without experience, just meant to give an example of a way to get cleaner into the pot. Accessing the back of the pot is preferable when it's viable!
Conjure
Sorted
hihache
Due to it being scratchy at around 2 o'clock, I replaced the frequency pot on my MMG. Make Noise sold me one for $8 -- this particular pot is no longer available via your popular electronics suppliers.

I took the old one apart to look at it. It looks like the inner track had either begun to lose its coating or had some buildup on it. In any event, cleaning or repairing a pot like this seems impractical. There's no way you could disassemble it without removing it from the board, and it's unlikely you'd get any cleaner inside the pot by simply spraying it on the shaft.
mskala
I wish people wouldn't delete their postings after the problems are solved - that makes the thread much less useful for people who may have the same problem and search for it in the future.
tbecker
I had issues with the big freq offset knob on my MMG and had it replaced minus the shipping to get it to them, so it cost me $12 to have a pot replaced on a brand new module that was never abused in a smoke free environ. It is the low cost bargin pots they use, as I have yet to have any of the metal shaft alpha pots faiil (common thonk pots). What makes it worse is that your single brand makenoise modules all have different brand pots CTS, alpha if you take a look, but all seem to be the lowest priced plastic shafts variants. I do really wish they would take a hint and spend another $10-20 to make those $400-500 modules a little more robust to wiggling...
terrymccann
mskala wrote:
I wish people wouldn't delete their postings after the problems are solved - that makes the thread much less useful for people who may have the same problem and search for it in the future.

I agree.
peripatitis
I am having a similar problem wih my vdl6' resonance knob.
Due to the nature of this filter it is obvious that there are points in that travel where it looses connection or it drops to zero resonance. (there is a big amplitude dump when the resonance is on, so in this case the sound becomes abruptly significantly louder.)

So how do you know if it can be repaired or needs replacing?
I had to replace a knob in another filter and the cost was significant.

Also unlike other modules that i have these potentiometers seem difficult to remove the cap and i am afraid to put force on them.

cheers

p.s and yes removing the posts content does not help..
southberry
Hi. So after months of small problems with some Make Noise pots, and after many recording sessions f****d because of that, I think it's time for me to make something for my dead knobs.

It's not a scratchy / dust problem, but like many other people experienced, I have few knobs with "dead spots" ... it means that at some point it's like the pot turns back full CCW ... like if the pot is disconnected or something ...
my case is an half Make Noise system and this problem occurs a lot on my Erbeverb (INPUT , MIX, TILT) my Telharmonic (FLUX) ... I think this is pot I use a lot and maybe due to their cheap quality ?

Both modules were bought brand new but are out of warranty ... so I guess my best option is to change these pots myself . I mean it's just a cheap pot problem no ? and considering my friends have the same problems on some MN modules, and your experiences, I must learn to do it for the future too grin

Send them to US and waiting for weeks to have them back sounds like a harder experience ...

whatever I don't understand why they continue to put these cheap pots on their "not cheap material", when you pay over 500$ for a reverb, you expect a better build quality
Cortega
I love Make Noise, but yes they are using the worst pots/knobs in Eurorack land, demanding Boutique Prices and delivering Modules with this poor Knob Quality is something to criticize.

I have send my DPO 3 Times, Math and Function 2 times etc. DPO pot issue ruined so many Modular Jam recordings that i replaced it with the Intruo Cs-L.
peripatitis
Definetely most companies are being "cheap" with the pots and I think it is unfortunate because this is a big part of the "interface". (not that good pots won't go bad) but I think they are doing it knowingly.
From what I understand all these parts have a known lifetime.
It would be good if manufacturers would go ahead and disclose that spec as well but it probably won't happen.

Perhaps buying modules from "local" brands is a plus in that regard.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3