MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Switching matrix: what are you using?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Switching matrix: what are you using?
KoryB
Just about to put together a small modular and really want a matrix for audio and cv. Leaning towards getting the Hinton or WMD.

I'm just curious if there are any other strong contenders for this that I should be looking at?

Thanks[/list]
mdoudoroff
WMD SSM rocks.
KoryB
It seems cool. I just wish it had more ins and outs.

I'm kind of debating getting two SSM's.
Paranormal Patroler
The Alyseum MS Matrix has 16x16 and 32 saving slots under CV control.
Sinamsis
I too use the SSM. Dynamic Destiny is another good switch but on the smaller end. Hinton looks nice.
KoryB
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

This looks fantastic! How's the build quality?

Anything that you're not liking about it?
KoryB
Sinamsis wrote:
I too use the SSM. Dynamic Destiny is another good switch but on the smaller end. Hinton looks nice.

Do you prefer one over the other?
Paranormal Patroler
KoryB wrote:

This looks fantastic! How's the build quality?

Anything that you're not liking about it?

Alyseum build quality is always high end. Personally, I think it's the best switch option out there. There's a sweet sweet software editor coming as well ... you can patch your modular and then sit for a bit and "paint" new connections on the fly! The only downside, for me, is that it doesn't mix outputs so I have it right next to mix modules just in case.
Sinamsis
KoryB wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

Do you prefer one over the other?

Both have their benefits. Dynamic destiny is much more compact but is only two channels. The SSM is MUCH bigger but has a lot more bells and whistles. Depends on what you need it for. I have both in my larger system. But if you are short on space Dynamic Destiny is a pretty capable little module.
savethisrocketship
I, too, have DD and SSM and both are probably underrated but are also different beasts. I use my DD to easily change waveforms for a two VCO voice (usually manually but VC can be nice) - it has non-linear switching options, but it's not highly programmable like the SSM. SSM is very deep (I'm still learning my way around it!) but easy to get quality results with a little time. I think DD is a solid option for someone who wants a switch/thinks they want one but is either light on space/funds or intimidated by the SSM.

Check out the SSM thread and user Harpum1 on Instagram for some awesome patch demos - if that doesn't inspire you to get one than the DD is probably sufficient for your needs!
mdoudoroff
WMD produced a pretty effective overview demo for the SSM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Lm5M2fZJM

What sets the SSM apart, in my opinion, are these things:

- flexible CV control
- four 4:1 unity mixers (it’s a mixer, not just a switch)
- immediacy, in terms of the manual switch buttons, but also the configuration interface itself

That makes for a really versatile, well-thought-through tool. Other options might solve specific problems, but the SSM is a “swiss army knife”-type of tool.
spudboyblues
Surprised to never see the 4ms VCA Matrix come up in these convos - it *can* be used to these ends, though with a bit more complexity / CV control.
KoryB
[quote="Paranormal Patroler"]
KoryB wrote:
The Alyseum MS Matrix has 16x16 and 32 saving slots under CV control.[/quote

only downside, for me, is that it doesn't mix outputs so I have it right next to mix modules just in case.

That's pretty manageable.

I'm hoping to get more out of fewer modules and have some sense of recallibility.

Has it been serviced ever ?
KoryB
Check out the SSM thread and user Harpum1 on Instagram for some awesome patch demos - if that doesn't inspire you to get one than the DD is probably sufficient for your needs![/quote]

Thanks! Will check the demos!
KoryB
spudboyblues wrote:
Surprised to never see the 4ms VCA Matrix come up in these convos - it *can* be used to these ends, though with a bit more complexity / CV control.

I wasn't aware that 4MS could be used for mixing applications. That makes it quite a bit more valuable.

I need to check it out in more detail.

Thanks!
KoryB
mdoudoroff wrote:
WMD produced a pretty effective overview demo for the SSM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Lm5M2fZJM

What sets the SSM apart, in my opinion, are these things:

- flexible CV control
- four 4:1 unity mixers (it’s a mixer, not just a switch)
- immediacy, in terms of the manual switch buttons, but also the configuration interface itself

That makes for a really versatile, well-thought-through tool. Other options might solve specific problems, but the SSM is a “swiss army knife”-type of tool.

Thanks!!
sempervirent
SSM is a beast... core system module for me.
Paranormal Patroler
[quote="KoryB"]
KoryB wrote:

only downside, for me, is that it doesn't mix outputs so I have it right next to mix modules just in case.

I'm hoping to get more out of fewer modules and have some sense of recallibility.

Serviced ??
KoryB
[quote="Paranormal Patroler"]
KoryB wrote:
KoryB wrote:

Serviced ??

I meant repaired.
KoryB
[quote="sempervirent"]SSM is a beast... core system module for me.[/quote

Thanks!

Sending out your boat in AM....
tbecker
I have a dynamic destiney that I will sell and had before that the SSM. I prefer the SSM and will be rebuying that one. Prest switching on the dynamic destiney is overated and under used in my system, while I really miss the great changes I could easily cook up with the 4x4 routing and randomization/sequencing that was built into the SSM.
Paranormal Patroler
[quote="KoryB"]
KoryB wrote:
KoryB wrote:

Serviced ??

I meant repaired.

Why would it get repaired? It works fine! Worrying about quality with Alyseum is totally useless, the modules are all AA+ .
MatrixModulator
NLC has new modules that might interest you.
http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.ca/2016/08/things-to-come-335-cv-swi tch.html?m=1
KoryB
MatrixModulator wrote:
NLC has new modules that might interest you.
http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.ca/2016/08/things-to-come-335-cv-swi tch.html?m=1

This looks pretty cool.

Thanks.
monads

This just came under my radar and looks pretty awesome. The other I'm looking into is the PinMix by Hinton Instruments. Not sure what I'll go with yet hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2