MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Running CV through reverb ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Running CV through reverb ?
Hendog
Does anyone have a demo / description of what happens when you run a control voltage through reverb?
Joe.
No alternating magnetic field = no reverb.

EDIT: I don't know how digital reverbs work, only spring reverbs. Someone else will have to chip in about them.
Hendog
LoFi Junglist wrote:
No alternating magnetic field = no reverb.

EDIT: I don't know how digital reverbs work, only spring reverbs. Someone else will have to chip in about them.

Interesting...how about a delay? Or same deal?
nikmis
ok, I just tried it with my pt2399 based delay, behringer vd400, and my spring reverb modules. basically nothing, though. I ran a 3-octave arpeggio CV through the spring reverb and on the other side was just some very low level noise. The same CV through the delays just made the pitch of the oscillator it was controlling jump a bit every time that it changed. I think there is some capacitor in the audio path that filters out CV like its AC-coupled. I am not sure that is technically correct, just a guess, but it was acting like that anyway.
Cat-A-Tonic
Some delays can process control voltages, and it's cool as hell.

Doepfer bit modifier A-189-1,
and Doeper BBD analogue delays do this.

Nikmis is also correct; most delays are AC coupled.
This kills their usefulness for control voltage processing.

I suppose their might be a workaround using the ghost electronics method.
Put noise into VCA then into delay.
Control VCA with CV you want to process.
Extract processed CV from delay via amplitude follower. Slew to taste.
AlanP
I've done this with the MusicThing reverb (Belton Brick), and it does this really cool stuttery effect to the gate.
cn70
Dunno about CV but triggers (and other short gate signals) makes really cool electronic percussive sounds, just ask Egyptian Lover
BugBrand
It comes down to frequency response - almost all will have hi-pass filters on the input (as Cat-a-tonic says, there are a very few that CAN do CV - doesn't the Serge Wilson delay allow that? or is it the blacet? or both?)

Regarding gates/triggers - of course, they're square waves so high-pass filtering will still allow the hi-freq transients to pass through. Like pinging a delay or reverb (or filter)
ersatzplanet
Basically DC will not pass through a spring reverb, jut the places where it moves. Mechanically is is equivalent to being AC coupled. Think the spring would have to move and STAY there at the top of a square wave like DC voltage.

Digital delays have a lot of filtering to remove sample clocks and DC offset from the audio. Think in a digital echo if there was DC precent, it would add together at every echo and get larger.

A way to experiment with these effects is to either Amplitude modulate a audio tone with the CV and then feed it through the effect and then extract the DC control voltage at the other end with an Envelope follower. This has it's problems of course but those problems will cause new effects.

Also if you frequency modulate and then extract the frequency with a de-modulator of some kind, it will also work.
Paranormal Patroler
What about filtering CV? Slew?
Kent
The Harvestman “Tyme Sefari Mk1” most definite processes and bends CV.
Sunden
shift registers can act as voltage delays of courses and you always make them feedback shift registers too! I’m not sure if I know of any other CV delay techniques off the top of my head though.
Milanm
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
What about filtering CV? Slew?

Basically yeah, pretty sure this is why maths channels 1 and 4 can act as (sort of) filters.
dooj88
the DLD can, though i've never tried to test it. from the manual:

Audio Inputs
◦ 0Hz (DC) to 24kHz
◦ 16.8V peak-to-peak maximum before clipping (when AC coupled)
◦ Optional jumper to choose DC or AC coupling on input.

Audio Outputs
◦ 0Hz (DC) to 24kHz with maximum -1.7dB difference between input and output (see technical specification section)
◦ +10.5V to -10.5V maximum output
◦ Soft limiting compression allows for saturation before clipping (can be disabled)
drone717
Need to try this with Erica Synths Black Hole DSP once I find a way to put it back in the rack. Even if the effects don't do anything, maybe the "Rate" knob would do something?
Flexyflier
Going to give this try also..........
Synnic
nikmis wrote:
ok, I just tried it with my pt2399 based delay, behringer vd400, and my spring reverb modules. basically nothing, though. I ran a 3-octave arpeggio CV through the spring reverb and on the other side was just some very low level noise. The same CV through the delays just made the pitch of the oscillator it was controlling jump a bit every time that it changed. I think there is some capacitor in the audio path that filters out CV like its AC-coupled. I am not sure that is technically correct, just a guess, but it was acting like that anyway.

A spring reverb uses a magnet and coil at each end, first to turn the audio into mechanical movement on springs and then to turn the mechanical movement of the spring back into sound.

The input coil only moves its magnet when the signal on the coil is changing. The output coil only produces a voltage when its coil is moving. Now, add to that the fact that most spring reverb amplifier circuits are AC-coupled to increase headroom and prevent prolonged DC from potentially overheating the coil. (See Spring Reverb Tanks Explained and Compared.)

When you use a control voltage on a spring reverb tank it moves only while the voltage is changing. This is why you hear only the occasional odd noises. The arpeggiator output likely doesn't change fast enough. If you want to get a real spring reverb to do anything interesting with a control voltage, try hooking up an LFO and gradually increasing the rate until you get a usable result.

This video is also of interest for learning more about the specifications of any given tank.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1