MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Allophones/Phonemes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Allophones/Phonemes
Glitchmachines
Anyone have any waves they are willing to share for the Honda? I'm really interested in allophones and would be super excited to populate a bank of the expansion rom with such waveforms.

Is this possible?

Can anyone help?
SlayerBadger!
Illiac
here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d5a925d51b21d35167cd7f7bd65f7eeffd0 a0fa4b589e2d4f1940a51b339e393
Glitchmachines
Illiac wrote:
here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d5a925d51b21d35167cd7f7bd65f7eeffd0 a0fa4b589e2d4f1940a51b339e393

Thank you! we're not worthy
ehr
here's some more:

http://8bitcollective.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9859[/url]
Glitchmachines
ehr wrote:
here's some more:

http://8bitcollective.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9859[/url]

Thank you!!

You guys are the best MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Any idea how I can load these into Wave256? I'm scratching my head on this one hmmm.....

Am I totally wrong to assume that these can be burned on to the Honda rom expander?
vasculator
Glitchmachines wrote:

Any idea how I can load these into Wave256? I'm scratching my head on this one hmmm.....

i knew it was a longshot but i tried last night to copy 256 samples of audio from a wave editor into wave256 and it didn't work. still trying to sort out a way to get pre-existing sample data into that format. i'll post again if i find a decent path for this.

i would love to be able to cut a drum up into 256 samples and span it across a bank, make sure all the zeros are good, and play a drum w/ a CV env thru the table.
deastman
vasculator wrote:
Glitchmachines wrote:

i knew it was a longshot but i tried last night to copy 256 samples of audio from a wave editor into wave256 and it didn't work. still trying to sort out a way to get pre-existing sample data into that format. i'll post again if i find a decent path for this.

i would love to be able to cut a drum up into 256 samples and span it across a bank, make sure all the zeros are good, and play a drum w/ a CV env thru the table.
I was able to do it with Sound Forge. Start by generating a wave256 file to use as a template. Open it as a 'raw' file in Sound Forge... the default settings for interpreting the file seem to be correct.

Now you can paste audio content into that file, as long as the total number of samples doesn't change. You'll probably want to generate wave256 files with both a single waveform and an entire bank so you can determine exactly how many samples each slice needs to be in Sound Forge. I imagine that forcing pitched sampled material to exactly the correct frequency so it fits perfectly into a single waveform slot will be challenging... I haven't tried it yet myself.

After you're finished, use the 'raw' method again to save your audio back into a wave256 file.

I've tested this out myself by generating a wave256 file, opening it in Sound Forge, saving it back out as a new file, and loading it back into Wave256. The sample material survived the round trip with no artifacts.

Good luck, and feel free to share if you come up with a cool wavetable. I haven't ordered a programmer yet, but I will be soon. It would be great if we could set up a topic on here as a central repository to share our wavetables.
Junk Rhythm
deastman wrote:
I was able to do it with Sound Forge...

Now I have to go dig out the install discs for Sound Forge. I figured if there would be a way, that it would include Sound Forge.
Junk Rhythm
I'm going to elaborate a little on what deastman mentioned:

Step by Step

File > Open
Set "Files of type:" to "Raw Audio"
Select your .256 file
A dialog will pop up with your import options. I chose:

Sample Rate: 44,100 Hz
Sample type: 8 Bit, PCM
Format: Unsigned
Channels: Mono

Everything else I left alone. Tap that Ok button. Now that Sound Forge is open and you see your waveform we need to adjust some settings to make things easier. Goto:

Options > Status Format > Samples

This setting allows you to view the waveform timeline in samples. If you look at the waveform you will notice that most of single cycles will cross the zero axis at intervals of 256 samples. The trick is to make sure that any waveform you paste in here must have a starting point on the zero axis and end on the zero axis while only being 256 samples long. I didn't count the cycles across but I'm assuming that there are 256 of these of these single cycle "loops" which add up to a total of 65,536 samples. That is the max length of your EEPROM data. Now I would also assume that every 16 of these single cycle loops will also be a bank.

Since I chose 44,100 Hz as my sample rate, the equation to generate a single cycle waveform for this would be:

44,100 Hz (also known as 44,100 samples per second) / 256 samples = 172.265625 Hz.

This is the frequency of the single cycle so any single cycle that you would like to use must also be at this frequency in order to get that 256 sample loop. Resample your waves to that frequency and you are good to go.

I really can't wait to get my Piston Honda! Hopefully in a few weeks I can put all of this information to good use.
deastman
Thanks for elaborating. Do you have any tips for how to go about resampling waves to 172.265625 Hz? As far as I know, the tools included with Sound Forge aren't very precise... you could do a pitch shift, but it only works in cents. And the resample function only goes down to 2,000 Hz.
Junk Rhythm
deastman wrote:
Thanks for elaborating. Do you have any tips for how to go about resampling waves to 172.265625 Hz? As far as I know, the tools included with Sound Forge aren't very precise... you could do a pitch shift, but it only works in cents. And the resample function only goes down to 2,000 Hz.

I'm not sure off hand. In the past I have always used the processing in Sound Forge or hardware samplers such as the E-MU ESI-32, AKAI S3000, and AKAI S6000. Up until this evening I had not used Sound Forge in about 3 years. Well it installed under Parallels on my Mac so tomorrow I'll dig around some more and try to "remember" my old methods. hyper
vasculator
Thanks Junk Rhythm! Very helpful info.
SquidInSquidInk
My expansion board should arrive today and I've already started trying formants/allophones "the hard way" (I don't think there is an easy way).

I started by trying to hand-draw the "vocal" waves from the Morphing Terrarium PDF in Wave256. Why does the E350 have so few waveforms compared to the PH - does that circuit have more stages of interpolation between each wave? Anyway, that gave me a basis to work from so I can keep tweaking to fill in the blanks. I anticipate many months of trial and error with the PICkit.
Glitchmachines
Thanks Junk Rhythm this is very very helpful!

and thanks to everyone else who has offered additional info.

If anyone comes across a definitive way of burning these waves onto the Honda rom, please share it here.

Scott - if you're aware of a reasonable solution to do this, would you be willing to offer it as an extended service, in addition to burning the rom? I would be more than happy to pay for it and I'm sure I'm not alone...
Junk Rhythm
Glitchmachines wrote:
If anyone comes across a definitive way of burning these waves onto the Honda rom, please share it here.

Save your file from wave256.
example: file.256 (Where file is the name of your file)

Rename your file.
example: file.bin

Open this file in a Hex Editor. I used Hex Workshop.

Convert and export.
example: file.hex

Open PICkit 2 V2.61 and select 25LC512 as your device.

Import file.hex

Wire up your 25LC512 using this pin out:

Connections for 25LC devices PICkit 2 Readme
---------------------------------------
PICkit 2 Pin -- 25LC Device Pin (DIP)
(1) VPP ------- (1) nCS
(2) Vdd ------- (8) Vcc
(3) GND ------ (4) Vss
(4) PGD ------ (2) SO
(5) PGC ------ (6) SCK
(6) AUX ------ (5) SI
---------------- (7) nHOLD - disabled (Vdd)
-----------------(3) nWP - disabled (Vdd)

Write the EEPROM.

Make some noise.

Now please remember that I do not have a Piston Honda yet, but I have done a lot of reading on it. I have as far as I can tell programmed the EEPROM correctly but I have yet to verify this. I'm either going to attempt testing this with an Arduino to verify or I might wait until I get my Piston Honda in the coming weeks. Having said that, the above information is use at your own risk. I make no guarantees that it is correct at this time. Use at your own risk.
sgnelson
As someone who neither has the expansion yet, or the pickit2, thanks Junk Rhythm on the knowledge (especially the pinout for the pickit2). Hopefully this will all come in handy when I eventually drop the cash on both, and I'm sure other people find it helpful as well.
governor blacksnake
Here's an image of a possible circuit layout for a simple EEPROM programmer. To build this you need:

- 1 2x8 header (to connect to the eurorack power supply)
- 1 1x6 header to connect to the PICKIT2 (preferably a right angle header)
- 1 ZIF socket at least 8 pins in size
- a 78L05, TO-92 package

and of course a PICKIT2 and some 25AA512s.

Make sure you don't power this board up until the ROM is safely socketed!

deastman
So the PICKIT doesn't provide enough power to burn the EEPROMS on its own? What are the power requirements (Eurorack PS not withstanding)?
deastman
By the way, I've mentioned it in at least one other topic, but it appears the Doepfer A-112 sample dump utility program can be used to convert between .256 and .hex files. And its free.
governor blacksnake
deastman wrote:
So the PICKIT doesn't provide enough power to burn the EEPROMS on its own? What are the power requirements (Eurorack PS not withstanding)?

The power requirements are miniscule, but for whatever reason I had much better luck powering the circuit from an external power supply. Probably a consequence of the dinosaur computer I was using to program the chips... YMMV
bsmith
deastman wrote:

I've had no problems using the pickit power set at 3.3v.
bsmith
Here's where you can find the allophones file and some others:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/wiardgroup/files/Binary%20Waves/
Junk Rhythm
bsmith wrote:
Here's where you can find the allophones file and some others:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/wiardgroup/files/Binary%20Waves/

Thanks for the heads up. The larry.256 ROM looks like a dud. It has a few waveforms but then it goes blank.
Junk Rhythm
I just took a look through the allophone.256 ROM bank available on the Wiard Yahoo Group. A lot of the waveforms are clipped really hard and they don't sound as delightful as they should. I have the SPO256 and SPO250 speech chips so I'll work on coaxing something useful out of the SPO256 first.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1